- Bring the voice and visibility of West African workers to ECOWAS and other International labour platforms;
- Highlight labour-related problems in the West African sub-region and focus national labour centres’ attention on these issues as a means of addressing them;
- Facilitate trade union unity and engagement of national unions in popularising worker-related issues and policies contained in ECOWAS protocols and policies geared towards promoting the integration process.
- To work towards full, decent and freely chosen employment and the elimination of all forms of discrimination based on race, sex, nationality or creed.
- To fight for the improvement of working and living conditions including the extension and sustenance of social security coverage to everyone.
- To promote greater gender equality; and
- To promote the ratification and effective implementation of International Labour Standards.
In the overall context of the above and in consonance with prevailing socio-economic and political developments therefore, the objectives of OTUWA include the following: